Exercise is hard full stop. When you add winter into the equation, it can quickly become a highly avoidable task. These dark, chilly mornings make getting out from under the duvet extremely difficult and pushing snooze on the alarm all too easy. Maintaining day-to-day motivation through winter can be challenging to say the least. However, you can’t let the cold weather get in the way of your fitness goals! Physical activity in winter is important for keeping your body healthy, lowering the chances of mental and physical illness and not to mention beating those pesky winter blues!
So, we reached out to our CLIQUE Community to gather their top tips on staying motivated this winter! Here they are:
1. Plan ahead – And prepare your workout gear the night before. Decide what you are going to wear and lay it out so that it’s ready to go when you wake up or when you get home from work. If you’re going to the gym, have your bag and/or supplements at the ready. This will take time off your daily routine and you’ll feel more mentally prepared for your workout! Choosing some cute active-wear that you feel confident in can really help with motivation too!
2. Reward yourself – For all your hard work! Positive rewards are extremely important for forming new habits. After a tough workout, treat yourself to a nice warm beverage or your favourite snack. This gives you something to look forward to at the end of your workout. Oh, and don’t forget to give yourself a pat on the back!
3. Join a sports team – There are a whole bunch of social sports played in winter. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a complete beginner, there is something out there for everyone! It’s a great way to pick up a new hobby, meet new people and stay motivated. Especially when you are part of a team who relies on one another!
4. Grab a workout buddy – This way you are able to keep each other on track and equally motivate one another. You’re much more likely to want to exercise when it’s fun and having a friend there to chat with can make it all the more enjoyable. Even if you prefer to workout from the comfort of home, you could consider joining a video call with a friend to workout together.
5. Group fitness classes – These are an especially great option for those who are just starting out at a gym or aren’t sure what workouts to be doing. Have a chat to one of your friendly gym staff members to find out which class would work best for you and your schedule. The class instructors are extremely motivating and helpful if you’re a beginner, it’s also a fantastic way to meet new people!
6. Winter workouts = summer fitness – Now is the time to get stuck in and get ready for summer where you’ll likely be doing more outdoor activities! Yes, it’s cold and yes, it’s hard but remember, summer will return! And who doesn’t want to feel fit, strong and healthy as soon as the warmer weather hits? We know we do.
7. Set goals for yourself – And make sure they are achievable! Start small and work your way up, no goal is too small. Setting yourself a goal is almost like a commitment, writing them down in your phone or in a journal can help to make you that much more motivated to reach them. Once you know what you want, why you want it and how to achieve it, you’ll be all set for success!
So, that’s it! Those were your top tips for staying motivated this chilly season. Now time to put them to work, good luck and stay warm!